Step 3 commenced on 15 November 2018 involves deeper analysis of the design, primarily at a systems level, and of our arguments that support the safety, security and environmental features.
The aims of Step 3 are to:
- improve knowledge of the design for the UK regulators
- progress resolution of any issues identified at Step 2
- identify any significant design or safety case changes that may be required
- assess the safety, security and environmental protection requirements
- identify major issues that may prevent the UK regulators from issuing a Design Acceptance Confirmation (DAC) or Statement of Design Acceptance (SoDA) and attempt to resolve them
- enable the Environment Agency to begin public consultation on its findings so far
- achieve a significant reduction in regulatory uncertainty and greater acceptability of the design going forward.
As part of Step 3, we published the following draft documents:
- Pre-Construction Safety Report (PCSR)
- Pre-Construction Environmental Report (PCER)
- Generic Security Report (GSR)
As part of the GDA process, the public is invited to review and comment on the documents, which can be accessed via the links above.
Some documents may contain commercially sensitive, export-controlled or sensitive nuclear information and so, in line with GDA guidance, we have made judgements on areas to be redacted prior to being made public.
Should you wish to comment on these documents, please use our Comment page or send your comments to our Freepost address on the Contact us page.